Voting

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sickie

A little after 1:30p this afternoon my (home) phone rang.  Took a peek at the Caller ID and saw it was Jakie's school.  Before I answered it I already knew why they were calling.  Jakie was sick.  This morning he woke up with a tummy ache.  I didn't think too much of it so we pressed on after resting a bit.  On our way to school our conversation went a little like this:

Jakie: Why does school have to be in the morning?  I hate waking up early.  I'm tired of waking up early.  I just want to sleep in every morning. 

Me: Would you rather school be at night?

Jakie: No.  Maybe the afternoon.  Yea, afternoon time.  Then I could sleep in but still get home before dark.  I wish school wasn't soooooo early in the morning.

Me: Well, maybe you need to go to bed earlier?  Then it won't be so hard to wake up in the mornings.

Jakie: My stomach isn't hurting anymore Mommy.  Maybe I just need to drink more water.

Totally deflected my last comment about going to bed earlier.  Of course!  I made sure to tell him to go to the nurse's office if the pain came back.  Guess what?  It came back.  And it came back hard.  No vommiting, no fever, no chills.  Just stomach pain.  We walked in the office and I saw his little feet first.  Then his face.  He was laying on the bed crying in pain.  The nurse made sure to explain to me that she thought he was actually sick because "Jacob isn't one of those students that comes to my office, unless he's forced."  Did she think I thought he was faking?  No way would this boy ever fake a sick day.  Not yet anyway.  He loves school.  He just wishes it was later in the day :)

(poor sickie.  he looks so sad that he has to leave early.)

He cried off and on the whole way home.  Made me sad :( We finally got home and straight to the bath he went.  He was filthy.  But, he's a boy.  That's what they do, right?  Get dirty and make messes?  Sounds about right to me!  In no time at all the water relaxed him and he was feeling much better.  Good news!


It's now 10:25p and he's passed out.  No school for this little man tomorrow.  We have a busy day Saturday.  We can't afford to have a sickie on our hands at our fundraiser breakfast. 

(yes, I just went into his room, snapped this photo and uploaded it. it's what i do.)

 It has now come to my favorite time of the day.  Time for bed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment